Thursday, April 26, 2012


4/25   this dance with this blog. how can I have something to say, drudge & isolato that I am.  read a recent blog post from Chris Cottrell (thethepoetry.com), fine poet, editor  and literary activist here, talking about the renaissance of the portland poetry scene,  “important” readings. and it’s great for this energy to be about. I cant say too much as I don’t go out to hear the poetry, which to me is the criteria. folks communicating, exchanging ideas now and later, yeah, but what’s being written/performed?

people have networks. despite the bad economy some folks are travelling around, staying with friends and reading here and there. one house series in town, whose title has suicide in it, had Eileen Myles read  (she was in town for a PSU reading), while another had a poet listed as among 2011’s best by the new york times) these are good connections.

what ’xactly is the measure of poetic activity, thinking quality and quantity must both be factors.
places. strata. how much cross-connection is happening between scenes/series. some overlap, some don’t. open mikes share being that kind of reading; some folks visit various series, while some tend to the same venue.

I feel a little weighted by my history, maybe viewed as established coz of duration, coz I’m not much social, but I’m not an insider, not a teacher, (though most colleges don’t do much to spread word of writers coming to read, and tend to totally ignore local writers) operating solo. in my past and currently limited activities have gone more for bringing together a variety of folks, which other than Show and Tell doesn’t happy much elsewhere. probably haven’t done a good job at connecting more with newer folks and factions. have a sense of connection with Show and Tell and with Spare Room,  despite my rare appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment